Contact Info / Websites
I know that I've always sucked really bad at replying to questions in PMs and stuff (though I try to reply to almost all NG reviews now), so I decided to just publically answer a couple common questions I've gotten...
What inspires you?
Music and lyrics inspire me the most. I always have it on when I'm writing or doing visuals. I think having a song on that tonally fits the scene that you're writing or creating can help focus it emotionally.
That and just the desire to express myself. I've always done it, whether through writing or art or whatever, and always will.
How do you come up with your ideas?
I always start with the main character's arc, and then build out from there. For Phantom Reverse, for example, I started with a high school kid who feels guilty for something he had no control over. By the end of the story, I wanted him to overcome that and move on. From there, I built out everything - his back story, the paranormal elements, etc.
Another example would be Dead Detention. It started with a helpless kid (Max) who was constantly saved by others. In the final moment, I wanted the helpless kid to be the one saving others. From there, came zombies and everything else.
It might sound weird but I think it just works for me because I can apply different genres and stuff I like, while always having an underlying theme. I think it lets you get creative and weird (and meme-y), while still retaining a core relatable main character.
Do you watch anime?
Not really, but I use to a couple years ago. Faves were really dark and weird stuff like Death Note, FLCL and Steins;Gate.
Were you inspired by <insert anime name here>?
No, I don't think an anime has ever inspired a story or idea or anything like that specifically. Though I do want to do something in a similar vein to FLCL one day...maybe.
What is Universe 08?
It's the shared universe of my stories and games. It's about an organisation and cult called Clear Moon that worships Death as it's God...it's kinda dark :-D
Do I need to play <insert game here> to understand <insert game here>?
No, I intentionally do everything to work as a standalone story. I think of universe 08 as more of a backdrop for lore. While last year there were some stories that would bleed into others, I won't be doing that anymore.
Why was the art so shitty?
With Dead Detention I just started randomly doing literal scribbles, and for some reason ppl seemed to kinda like it. I don't know why, but it stuck a little. I'm actually pretty good at art and graphic design, though you absolutely wouldn't be able to tell from those projects lol (or anything I've uploaded online really.) I think with Phantom Reverse, and to an extent with Blue Lights, I've stepped the quality back up to being good-ish...or at least above "shitty." My next projects are going to slowly start representing my actual artist ability, and not just the low effort eye-bleeding shit posting aesthetic I'm kinda known for now...
What are you studying?
Graphic design. I was studying programming for a little over a year, but decided to change to something more creative focused. (Though I learned tonnesssssssssss from it)
A standalone sequel to Alula Falling.
Are you interested in working with me?
Not right now - in this specific moment I like working by myself, though I am thinking of maybe starting a collab type thing wayyy down the line.
Annnnnddddddddddddddddd that's all for nowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww................................................
(That felt very self-indulgent)
PHANTOM REVERSE 6 WILL BE UP SOON-ISH HOPEFULLY MAYBE,
HAVE A GREAT WEEK,
JACK ASTRAL -
2017-07-05 06:36:44 by JackAstral
HELLO THE 5th EPISODE OF MY SERIES "PHANTOM REVERSE IS OUT NOW!"
IT'S A SERIES ABOUT A PARANORMAL CURSE CAUSING STUDENTS TO DISAPPEAR AT A HIGH SCHOOL EVERY FRIDAY....AND THE MC YOU PLAY IS NEXT!!!!!!!!
PLEASE LEAVE A REVIEW, RATE IT AND SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EPISODE 6, THE FINALE, WILL BE COMING LATER THIS MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hey guys, I just wanted to quickly throw up a blog post about some thingies...
1. I just uploaded "Version 1.1" patches for Phantom Reverse Episodes 1, 2, 3 and 4..
- Locket set up was improved in episode 1 - including motivation logic in episode 3
- Added to Melonie's character intro
- Word counts and length were trimmed down a bit here and there
- Added three additional visuals to episode 2's fight scene
- Episode 1 is now titled "Phantom" on the titlescreen
- More emotion, character and depth added to episode 4 dialogue
- Added 2 new music tracks to episode 4
- You can find specific brief patch notes in the description of each episode
2. I'm working on Episode 5 now
- It should be up early next month, which will hopefully be followed by the finale (episode 6) not long after
- The story I have planned for it is really cool so far - hopefully people will like it
3. I've decided to privatise Chronicle Bulletin
- This is only a temporary thing. I really think I kinda screwed up that series. It was just lacking a lot of the things I think I usually do quite well - like character arcs, emotional cores and things like that. While a lot of my stuff has this kind of intentional shit-posting aesthetic, I think that series still has some inexcusably bad, lazy visuals lol. It just doesn't make sense with the tone.
- I'll make them public again eventually - most likely after I maybe tidy them up a bit to improve these areas
4. After Phantom Reverse concludes, I'll be doing one more series this year...
- I'll be revealing what it is later down the line, but I know it's something people have been wanting for a while.
- It's a stand-alone sequel to something
- It'll be 5 episodes long
- Visually, it'll follow in the footsteps of Phantom, though will hopefully look a touch better as I'll be spending about a month on each episode.
That's all for now.
If you don't already, you can......
THANKS , HAVE A GREAT WEEK ~
- JACK ASTRAL
2017-05-27 20:56:26 by JackAstral
HI I STARTED A NEW PARANORMAL HIGH SCHOOL VISUAL NOVEL SERIES CALLED "PHANTOM REVERSE" RECENTLY
IT'S ABOUT A PARANORMAL CURSE KILLING STUDENTS AT A HIGH SCHOOL. IT'S DARK AND WEIRD AND FUN AND IS GOOD I THINK MAYBE
I JUST UPLOADED THE SECOND EPISODE.
ALSO I UPLOADED MY TINY EERY SHORT FILM TO YOUTUBE, IF YOU MISSED IT ON NEWGROUNDS:
THANKS HAVE A GREAT WEEK AND YES IM SORRY FOR ALL CAPS AGAIN
- JACK ASTRAL
2017-05-07 14:34:14 by JackAstral
HI THE FIRST EPISODE OF MY NEW SERIES "PHANTOM REVERSE" IS OUT NOW!
PLAY IT HERE -> http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/693080
PLZ ALSO FOLLOW ME ON NEWGROUNDS AND SHARE IT WITH YOUR FRIENDS!
IT'S ABOUT A CURSE THAT'S BEEN KILLING HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS EVERY FRIDAY. SPOOKY!!!!!!! MYSTERIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! ACTION!!!!!!!!!! EMOTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHARACTER ARCCSSS!!!
PLAY IT PLZ
THIS FIRST EPISODE HAS A LOT OF SET UP
BUT IT'S JUST THE NATURE OF IT. THE COMPLETE THING WILL BE MY BEST STORY EVER BY FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
EPISODE 2 UP AS SOON AS HUMANILY POSSIBLE!!!!
PS. SORRY FOR CAps
TODAY I UPLOADED TWO LITTLE THINGS
FIRST, A TEXT BASED GAME THING CALLED "AGREE TO AGREE"
IT'S ABOUT HOW PEOPLE DON'T LISTEN TO OTHER'S OPINIONS PROPERLY ANYMORE.
PLAY IT HERE -> http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/690878
SECOND, I UPLOADED A LITTLE 1 MINUTE LONG HORROR-ISH SHORT CALLED "THE HATMAN"
IT'S LIVE ACTION BUT I UPLOADED TO NEWGROUNDS ANYWAY BECAUSE I'VE SEEN A COUPLE HERE BEFORE :O
WATCH IT HERE -> http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/690884
SO YEAH THEY'RE NOT MUCH BUT I HOPE YOU LIKE THEM
NEXT UP IS PHANTOM REVERSE EPISODE 1. COMING APRIL. FIRST IN A BRAND NEW VISUAL NOVEL SERIES.
- JACK ASTRAL
PS. SORRY FOR CAPS
PLAY ALL 6 EPISODES OF MY DUMB SERIES COMBINED INTO ONE PROJECT HERE -> http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/690316
FOLLOW ME ON NEWGROUNDS HERE - > http://jackastral.newgrounds.com/follow
PS. NEW UPLOAD LATER THIS WEEK ;-D
2017-02-21 20:09:12 by JackAstral
I finished making and uploading all 6 episodes of my adventure visual novel series BLUE LIGHTS!!!! It's about a frail, nerdy high school kid who gets wrapped up in an ALIEN INVASION ADVENTURE THINGY
PLAY EPISODE 1 HERE ►►► http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/687842
- EPISODE 2 ► http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/688042
- EPISODE 3 ► http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/688262
- EPISODE 4 ► http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/688505
- EPISODE 5 ► http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/688697
- EPISODE 6 ► http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/689259
Thanks to everyone who played, rated and reviewed the series! I really appreciate it!
My next upload will just be called "BLUE LIGHTS", and will combine all 6 episodes into one giant game.
NEXT I'll be starting my next visual novel series called "Phantom Reverse." It'll be dark, mysterious, emotional and kinda scary. It'll be 6 episodes long, and tell the story of a high school that's suffering from an evil, bloody curse.
THANKS! HAVE A GREAT WEEK,
2017-01-24 08:56:46 by JackAstral
Today I uploaded the first episode of my new 6 part series Blue Lights. It's a super hyper visual novel adventure about a lazy high school kid called Rey, who gets wrapped up in an extraterrestrial plot!
PLAY IT, SHARE IT AND RATE IT...........IF YOU WANT !!!!
Episode 2 will be up soon.
- Jack Astral
Happy New Year! Check out my Game Reel for 2016 below:
- You can also watch my game reel here on newgrounds ► http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/686711
Projects Coming in 2017
- A new 6 part Visual Novel series called "Phantom Reverse." It's about a rumoured curse randomly killing students at a high school. There's a little horror, a little drama, and a little adventure. It's my best narrative yet, by far.
- A new 5 part Visual Novel series in a similar vein to Dead Detention, (for now) titled "Blue Lights." It's about an alien invasion set at a high school. It's fun, hyper and weird - with the same doodle-y, notepad "art" of Dead Detention.
- A mini trilogy of dark visual novels called "Red Rain" - about a grown up, gritty Max from Dead Detention. The story is about him trying to save his twin brother from the clutches of Clear Moon.
- A couple dumb, meme-y, viral-ish games. My projects get a little depressing, and dark, sometimes, so I thought it'd be cool to do some dumb joke games next year. You know, just stuff making fun of pop culuture.
- ...and a couple of those tiny, little emotional games I make
Changes Coming 2017
Going forward, all of my projects will be exported to HTML5 - meaning that they'll be playable on mobile devices. All games will also now go up on Newgrounds, Kongregate and itch.io. I really want to grow up my audience :)
I might also attempt to do something with my YouTube channel, which you can check out (and subscribe to!!!) ► here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWcOwvblb4G3IHhZMJFJ5pA
(I was thinking of maybe doing a video adaption of the first season of Dead Detention with voice actors...more on that later.)
Goals for 2017
- Reach 4,000 Newgrounds fans
- Reach 1,000 twitter followers
- Reach 1,000 YouTube subs...maybe...if I end up doing something with the old channel :b
- Create my first release for the Apple and Google appstore
- Immensely step up the visual quality and polish of my projects, while still retaining the messy, unprofessional aesthetic people seem to really like.
Anyway. I really hope you liked some of the things I made this year. I had some pretty cool little successes, as well as some failures, in 2016. Thank you for sticking with me through them. I get in my own way a lot, so I really appreciate people who have been around since last year.
I hope you have a great New Years, and a peaceful 2017.
Never stop creating. Never stop trying.